The Salt Lake City Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC) will offer face-to-face Saturday help without an appointment from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, March 12. Normally TACs are only open weekdays.
The TAC is located at 178 S Rio Grande St., Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Please come prepared
The IRS urges individuals to bring the following information:
- Current government-issued photo identification
- Social Security cards and/or ITINs for members of their household, including spouse and dependents (if applicable)
- Any IRS letters or notices received and related documents
During the visit, IRS staff may also request the following information:
- A current mailing address, and
- Bank account information, to receive payments or refunds by Direct Deposit.
Free tax preparation help
While tax return preparation is not a service offered at IRS TACs during regular hours or during these Saturday hours, the following free resources are available to help most taxpayers prepare and file their 2021 federal tax returns anytime:
Any individual or family earning $73,000 or less in 2021 can use tax software from providers who make their online products available through IRS Free File at no cost. There are products in English and Spanish.
Free help preparing tax returns is available at a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Center (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly location (TCE) sites. The income limit for VITA assistance is $58,000. To find the closest free tax return preparation help, use the VITA Locator Tool or call 800-906-9887. To find a TCE AARP Tax-Aide site, use the AARP Site Locator Tool or call 1-888-227-7669.