Bike Utah is the largest statewide, nonprofit bicycle advocacy and education organization in the state. Our mission is to make Utah a better place to ride. We envision a Utah where complete networks of safe bike lanes, paths, and trails contribute to livable, healthy communities, allowing everyone to ride regardless of age, ability, race, or income. Bike Utah collaborates with all levels of government, organizations, agencies, businesses, and the general public to develop active transportation plans, educate children and adults, increase safety through legislation, and improve quality of life for residents and visitors with more bike lanes, paths, and trails.
Board Treasurer Responsibilities The Board Treasurer ensures accurate and complete financial reporting and proper maintenance of financial records and information. The Treasurer is responsible to keep the Bike Utah Board informed about the financial condition and activities and ensure appropriate documentation of such activities. The Treasurer works closely with the Executive Committee to prepare all necessary financial reports and documents. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serving on the Executive Committee as an officer of the organization.
- Works with executive director to ensure accurate and complete financial reporting and proper maintenance of financial records and information.
- Prepares a monthly Treasurer’s Report for the Board and reviews it with the Executive Committee.
- Helps review, develop, and enforce strong internal controls and financial management policies.
- Supports the creation and review of the annual budget with the executive director(s) and the Executive Committee.
- Works with outside accounting firm on preparation of tax returns and annual review/audit.
- Is a signer on all bank accounts and processes monthly employee reimbursement checks.
- Must be familiar and comfortable using QuickBooks Online.
Qualifications This is an extraordinary opportunity for individuals who are passionate about Bike Utah’s mission and vision. Board Members will be leaders in business, government, philanthropy, the nonprofit sector, or other areas that will help to advance Bike Utah and its initiatives. The treasurer should be a licensed CPA in the state of Utah.
General Board Member Responsibilities:
Establishing Identity and Direction
- Define Bike Utah’s strategic direction and contribute to the development of strategic plans.
- Ensure Bike Utah’s mission and vision are reflected in organizational programs, initiatives, and campaigns.
- Make sure Bike Utah’s strategic priorities are reflected in the annual budget.
- Monitor progress toward the achievement of goals related to the organization’s programs and initiatives.
- Approve Bike Utah’s annual plan and annual budget.
- Stay informed of and meet all board of director’s legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Ensure Bike Utah’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Bike Utah serves.
- Hire, set compensation, and contribute to the annual performance evaluation of the executive director.
- Attend regular board meetings to address issues of strategic importance to the organization.
- Review all board meeting materials prior to board meetings.
- Create, approve, and review organizational policies and procedures.
- Serve on board committees and take on special assignments to advance the organization.
- Assess Board performance regularly.
- Complete conflict of interest form annually.
- Participate in one Bike Utah event or program four times annually.
Ensuring Necessary Resources
- Bike Utah Board Members will consider Bike Utah a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. We expect all Board Members to make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
- All Board Members are expected to be active participants in Bike Utah’s fundraising efforts.
- Represent Bike Utah to stakeholders and act as an ambassador for the organization.
Board Terms and Participation.
- Bike Utah Board Members serve a two-year term and are eligible for re-appointment for three additional terms, totaling a maximum of 8 years. Board meetings are held every other month. Time commitment is approximately 5-10 hours per month.
Service on Bike Utah’s Board of Directors is without remuneration. Please email your resume and a short cover letter to Trilby Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Chris Wiltsie at email@example.com if you are interested!