Who We Are
The Road Home has been a leader in the fight to end homelessness for 100 years (1923-2023) . We provide low-barrier emergency shelters, supportive services, and housing-first-minded rental assistance that helps individuals and families step out of homelessness and back into the community. We are seeking compassionate and empathetic individuals who are interested in making a difference in the lives of others and their community.
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Controller to join our dynamic nonprofit agency. As the Controller, you will play a crucial role in overseeing the financial operations and ensuring the fiscal health of our organization. You will collaborate closely with the executive team, department heads, and external stakeholders to maintain accurate financial records, provide insightful analysis, and contribute to strategic decision-making.
The Road Home HQ
Chief Financial Officer
Grade and Starting Rate
Grade 15, $86,127
1. Financial Management: Manage aspects of financial operations, including budgeting, forecasting, and financial reporting to ensure accurate and timely financial information.
2. Reporting and Analysis: Generate comprehensive financial reports, analyze variances, and present findings to the executive team, enabling informed decision-making.
3. Compliance: Ensure compliance with all financial regulations, accounting principles, and nonprofit reporting requirements.
4. Internal Controls: Develop and implement robust internal control procedures to safeguard assets, prevent fraud, and maintain the integrity of financial data.
5. Audits and Reviews: Coordinate and manage annual audits, tax filings, and other financial reviews to ensure compliance and accurate financial statements.
6. Cash Flow Management: Project and monitor cash flow, manage investment portfolios, and oversee cash disbursements to support operational needs.
7. Team Leadership: Lead and mentor the finance team, fostering a collaborative and supportive work environment.
8. Systems Improvement: Continuously assess and enhance financial systems, processes, and procedures to increase efficiency and accuracy.
9. Strategic Planning: Collaborate with the executive team to develop financial strategies aligned with the organization’s mission and goals.
10. Training: Train organization staff on procurement policies, corporate card usage and other finance procedures.
11. Other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field; CPA required
2. Proven experience (4+ years) in nonprofit financial management, including grant accounting and reporting.
3. Strong knowledge of accounting principles, nonprofit regulations, and financial reporting standards.
4. Proficiency in financial software and systems.
5. Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills.
6. Detail-oriented and highly organized, with the ability to manage multiple priorities.
7. Strong leadership and team management skills.
8. Ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders and build positive relationships.
9. Ethical and professional conduct with a commitment to the nonprofit sector’s values.
10. Advanced knowledge of Excel, familiarity with Power Query preferred.
11. Must pass a pre-employment background check and drug screen.
Promoting Best Practice
- Ability to contribute to the agency’s commitment to enhancing awareness and appreciation of diverse ethnic and cultural heritages.
- A willingness to understand that housing first, harm reduction, low barrier access to resources is best practice and essential to our mission at The Road Home.
- Ability to set and maintain good boundaries, using Trauma-Informed Care as a guideline Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to diverse populations.
Physical and Equipment Requirements
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
- Ability to stand and walk for at least an hour at a time.
The Road Home is a 501(c)(3) non-profit social services agency whose mission is to help people step out of homelessness and back into our community.
Join our passionate and dedicated team as we work together to make a positive impact on our community. If you have a passion for nonprofit finance and are excited about contributing to our mission, we encourage you to apply. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
We have a robust, reasonably priced, and inclusive benefits plan for full and part-time employees (25-40 hours/week)
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- HSA, FSA, HRA (We reimburse part of your deductible!)
- Retirement Plan (403B with TRH contribution and match)
- Free Life Insurance for employees
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & 12 Public Holidays)
- One Floating Holiday Per Year
- Free Short Term & Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Training & Development
- Tuition Assistance for a wide variety of classes
The Road Home is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Road Home is committed to our work in addressing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) as part of our mission to help people experiencing homelessness move back into housing. We strive to create a team that reflects the people we serve and where our guests and employees feel empowered to be their full, authentic selves.Apply Online